The Bronx (in English : Bronx, [ðə bɹɒŋks]) is one of the five districts (in English : district) of the city New York, the other four are Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens and Staten Island. Located north of the city, it coincides with county from the Bronx (i English : Bronx County), established in 1914 and forms part of the administrative division ofNew York State, although the latter does not work as one county strictly speaking. It actually has no power and depends entirely onmunicipal authority.
In 2018, the population was 1,432,132 inhabitants. Since the end of 1990’s, The Bronx is more and more dynamic, and the violence that previously characterized it is falling sharply. The Bronx is also known to be the birthplace of culture Hip Hop.
The name comes from Jonas Bronck, an emigrant Swedish who was the first to colonize this area in XVIIe century. The territory was previously referred to as Rananchqua by Indians Siwanoy, so the settlers called him Broncksland or Bronck’s farm, which eventually gave Bronx. The name of the district is always accompanied by the specific article, while the name of the county is only Bronx.[réf. nécessaire]
The first inhabitant of European origin was then one Quaker comes from Barbados when New York was still Dutch, Colonel Lewis morris. The Bronx Territory originally belonged to Westchester County and consisted of four cities: Westchester, Yonkers, Eastchester and Pelham. On XIXe century, the neighborhood welcomes immigrants Protestants, Catholics (Irish and Italians) and a black society fromHaiti and D ‘West Africa. In 1846 a new town, West Farms, was created from Westchester. Other subdivisions appeared: Morrisiana in 1855 (from West Farms) and Kingsbridge in 1873 (from Yonkers).
In 1874, the western part of what is now the Bronx (Kingsbridge, West Farms and Morrisania) was transferred to New York County, followed in 1895 by Westchester and parts of Eastchester and Pelham, then City Island in 1896. The first subway line was installed in 1904. Following the annexation of New York City, these Westchester County neighborhoods merged in 1914 to form the Bronx County. In the 1920s was built by Yankee Stadium.
The Bronx is the northernmost borough of New York City, and the only one on the mainland, given that Manhattan and Staten Island are islands in themselves and Brooklyn and Queens occupies part of Long island.
Except that it shares national borders with Westchester County to the north, the Bronx borders masses of water at its other boundaries, giving it the appearance of a peninsula. So we find:
It also includes several small islands, in the East River and Long Island Sound. The total surface area is 149 km2, of which 109 km2 of land surface and 40 km2 of water. The Bronx is the only district in New York that has a freshwater river: Bronx River. Although it is the third densest county in the country After Manhattan and Brooklyn, about a quarter of the land is occupied by parks, or 28 km2, including, to the north, the largest in New York: Pelham Bay Park and From Cortlandt Park, while on the west bank of the Bronx River, woodlawn cemetery, is one of the largest cemeteries in the city.
Most streets in the Bronx are numbered, but unlike Brooklyn and Queens, the Bronx system expands Manhattan. Thus, the street numbering starts at 135.
The Bronx is served by several subway lines, most of them antennas.
Housing costs are much lower than in Manhattan, but there are also affluent neighborhoods, including Riverdale and Country Club Estates.
|1810||2267||▲ + 29.17%|
|1820||2,782||▲ + 22.72%|
|1830||3 023||▲ + 8.66%|
|1840||5 346||▲ + 76.84%|
|1850||8,032||▲ + 50.24%|
|1860||23,593||▲ + 193.74%|
|1870||37,393||▲ + 58.49%|
|1880||51 980||▲ + 39.01%|
|1890||88,908||▲ + 71.04%|
|1900||200 507||▲ + 125.52%|
|1910||430 980||▲ + 114.95%|
|1920||732 016||▲ + 69.85%|
|1930||1,265,258||▲ + 72.85%|
|1940||1,394,711||▲ + 10.23%|
|1950||1,451,277||▲ + 4.06%|
|1970||1471701||▲ + 3.29%|
|1980||1 168 972||▼ −20.57%|
|1990||1,203,789||▲ + 2.98%|
|2000||1 332 650||▲ + 10.7%|
|2010||1 385 108||▲ + 3.94%|
|Is. 2019||1,418,207||||▲ + 2.39%|
During Census 2010 There were 1,385,108 inhabitants in the Bronx. The population consisted of 53.5% ofHispanics, 30.1% avAfrican Americans, 10.9% av White and 3.4% ofAsians, the rest have other origins. 30% of the population in the Bronx is under 18 years of age.
|Language||Bronx||New York||United States|
|Persons under 5 years||7.2%||6.1%|
|Persons under 18 years||24.9%||22.6%|
|People over 65 years||12.3%||15.6%|
|People per household||2.84||2.64|
|Born abroad abroad||34.9%||13.2%|
|People without health insurance||9.4%||10.2%|
|People with disabilities||10.3%||8.6%|
|Annual income||18 896 $||29,829 th most common $|
|People below poverty line||28.6%||12.3%|
|High school students||71.2%||87.0%|
The Bronx is one of five districts (District) from New York City. The New York City government is divided into executive and legislative branches. The rapporteur in new york (Mayor of New York) is the leader of the executive while New York City Council (New York City Council) represents the legislature.
Each of the five districts that make up the city is represented by one Borough President. This is a representative position with very limited powers, which mainly consists of advising the mayor on the budget and problems related to a particular district.
- The Yankee Stadiumwho the baseball team played New York Yankees.
- Bronx Zoo, opened in 1899.
- The Hall of Fame for Great Americans, the first memorial of its kind.
- The botanical garden to Wave hill.
- The New York Botanical Garden, established in 1891, has 48 gardens and plant collections (rose garden, conifers, Japanese garden, herbarium, etc.), as well as a library of 50,000 works. It is a preserved area of the original forest that covered all of New York before the first settlers arrived XVIIe century.
- An Italian neighborhood, around Arthur Avenue.
- Fordham University, a private Catholic “large school”, created by The company of Jesus (The Jesuits) in 1841. The University Chapel is a listed monument and houses the old altar St. Patrick’s Cathedral. The stained glass windows were donated by Louis Philippe Iis, king of the French.
The Bronx is also the birthplace of music Hip Hop.
- TV programs
- Video games:
- (in) ” US Census Bureau QuickFacts: Bronx County (Bronx Borough), New York “, sure www.census.gov.
- (in) ” Bronx County Historical Society “, sure bronxhistoricalsociety.org (consulted October 26, 2018).
- (in) New York City Department of Parks & Recreation, ” Harding park “ (consulted May 2 7).
- (in) United States Census Bureau, ” County and city data book: 2007 Table B-1, area and population “ [PDF] (consulted in 26/16/2018).
- (in) Beth J. Harpaz, ” Ladies and gentlemen, the Bronx is flourishing! “, Associated Press, (consulted July 11, 8).
- (in) U.S. Census, ” American FactFinder – Results “, sure factfinder.census.gov.
- The Asian, black and other categories include only people who do not identify as Spanish-speaking and Latino. The Hispanic and Latino categories do not include people who report multiple racial affiliations.
- (in) ” Population of Bronx County, NY – Census 2010 and 2000 “, sure censusviewer.com (consulted July 17, 2016).
- (in) ” Decennial Census – Census 2010 “, sure nyc.gov.
- (in) ” LANGUAGES SPOKEN AT HOME BY FERME TO SPEAK ENGLISH FOR PEOPLE 5 YEARS AND OVER “, sure factfinder.census.gov (consulted September 3, 2017).
- (in) ” US Census Bureau QuickFacts: Bronx County (Bronx Borough), New York; UNITED STATES “, sure www.census.gov (consulted January 7, 2019).