LEXINGTON, Ky. – Based in a corner for the first time this season, the Kentucky baseball team responded in a resounding way and settled for a 13-4 victory over LSU on Sunday afternoon at Kentucky Proud Park. It was 20th season victory and shortened a week that started with a victory over Louisville No. 5.
The four best balls in the wildcats’ order had two hits and combined to run in eight races to set the tone. The victory improved Britain to 20-9 in the season and 6-6 in the Southeastern Conference games.
Coltyn Kessler got the Cats off to a two-run home run in the first half to continue their fierce hits in league games and Austin Schultz clubbed his first homer of the season – a two-run shot over the bullpen in the left field in the third inning – and later added 100th hit in his career as part of a day that saw him now four times. TJ Collett capped an eight-run seventh inning with a three-run double that put the nail in the Tigers’ comeback chances.
After a rough Friday night and early deficit on Saturday, the cats found their rhythm and surpassed LSU 18-5 over the last 12 rounds in the series. Not for nothing, the UK scored 13 runs in the seventh round of the series, again proving its ability to grind through on bats and get into the opponents bullpens.
On the mound, Zack Lee was excellent in 5.0 innings, knocking out six and allowing just one run on four hits to earn his third win of the season. New Year’s student Austin Strickland punctured the victory by knocking out the side on the ninth.
Top 4th – Sanford reached a fieldman election and Thompson reached on an infield single. Beloso struck from the right side and scored Sanford, moving Thompson to third. UK 4, LSU 1.
Bottom 4th – Chase Estep pointed up the middle, stole others and scored from others when he tagged on a SAC fly to RCF by Jake Plastiak. UK 5, LSU 1.
Top 7th – Arnold broke through on the left side and scored on Morgan’s home run to RF. UK 5, LSU 3.
Bottom 7th – Schultz was hit by a pitch and went on to second place on a shot. Rhodes reached a throwing error, Schultz went on to third and scored on the wrong throw, Rhodes to second. Kessler singlet for CF and scored Rhodes. Oraj Anu homered to RF, Kessler scored. Estep went and Ryan knights singlet. Estep and Ritter performed a double steal, Estep scored on a throwing error by the catcher. Hill was hit by a pitch and Schultz went to load the bases. TJ Collett cleared the bases with a double to RF. UK 13, LSU 3.
Top 8th – Sanford doubled to CF and scored on Thompson’s triple to CF. UK 13, LSU 4.
- Great Britain is a total of 20-9, 6-6 in SEC games.
- The Cats are 16-6 at home this season.
- The Cats had five players with multiple hits and four with multiple RBIs.
- The Cats scored 13 runs in the seventh round of the series, including eight on Sunday.
- The Cats surpassed LSU 18-5 over the last 12 innings in the series.
- All 12 of Britain’s SEC matches have been against teams nicknamed the Tigers or Bulldogs.
- Sophomore IF Ryan knights went 2-for-5 with a run and stolen base.
- Ritter had his eighth multi-hit game of the season and third this week.
- Ritter finished the week 8-for-17 with six races, seven RBIs, one steal, one double and two home races.
- Senior C Coltyn Kessler went 2-for-4 with two races, three RBI, home races and HBP.
- It was Kessler’s ninth multi-hit game of the season and 21st career.
- Kessler has six multi-hit games in SEC games.
- Kessler has reached safely in 16 of his last 17 games.
- Kessler tied career highs in races (2) and RBI (3).
- Junior IF / OF Austin Schultz went 2-for-3 with three races, two RBIs, one trip, one HBP and one home race.
- Schultz has reached base safely in 82 of 89 career games.
- Schultz ble 54th member of the UK Career 100-Hit Club.
- It was his 14thth season’s multi-hit games and 29th career.
- It was his ninth career multi-RBI game.
- Sophomore RHP Zack Lee threw 5.0 strong innings, allowing four hits and one run. He killed six tigers.
The Cats welcome Bellarmine to Kentucky Proud Park for the second time this season Tuesday night. The first pitch is set at 18:30 ET on SEC Network Plus. The radio talk show will be on the UK Sports Network.