Welcome back to another edition of the Sun-Times Chicago Baseball Quiz, I’m Your Quiz Master, Bill Chuck. These quizzes are designed to be fun and can be played on your own, or you can test family, friends, neighbors or colleagues. The questions are simple if you know the answers. Other than statistics, it will not be math. It will be a nice mix of Cubs and White Sox and a mix of history and current events. Baseball is filled with good facts and stories, so there is no need for the questions to be blurry (“What fed William Sianis his goat?”).
Are you ready for the Chicago Nine?
1. When Anthony Rizzo debuted in the major leagues, what team uniform was he wearing?
b. Red Sox
2. Who holds the Sox record for saves in a season?
on. Keith Foulke
b. Addison siv
vs. Bobby jenker
d. Bobby thigpen
True or False – Since 2000, the season high for a Cubs jar has been three exits?
4. Who is the last White Sox player to have a 200-hit season?
on. Tim Anderson
b. Albert Belle
vs. Frank Thomas
d. Nellie Fox
5. Three Cubs pitchers won five games (one team high) in the first month of the season (March / April). Which of these four did not?
on. Kerry Wood
b. Greg Maddux
vs. Larry Cheney
d. Jake arrieta
6. Who was the first player in White Sox history to homer in his first post-season bat?
on. Adam eaton
b. Adam angel
vs. Alexei ramirez
d. Aaron Rowand
7. Who has stolen the most bases for the Cubs since 2000 since 2000?
on. Ryan theriot
b. Eric Young Sr.
vs. Juan Pierre
d. Corey Patterson
8. Tony La Russa was born on October 4, 1944. On that day:
on. Joe DiMaggio had four hits in the World Series
b. The Cardinals and Browns met for the first (and only) all-St. Louis World Series
vs. Phil Cavarretta from the Cubs won the NL batting title
d. White Sox ‘Eddie Lopat ended the season with a one-hit
9. Into the 2021 season, Jose Abreu had 233 career doubles. Is this more, less or the same number as Mookie Betts, who joined the majors in 2014 as Abreu?
1. Rizzo debuted on June 9, 2011 and played for the Padres. 2. Bobby Thigpen saved 57 games in 1990. 3. Genuine. Let’s give a shutout shoutout to Jake Arrieta who had three shutouts in 2015. 4. Albert Belle had exactly 200 hits in 1998. 5. Kerry Wood’s highest was four victories in 2003. 6. Adam Engel homers in his first stroke in Game 1 of the AL Wild-Card Series 2020. 7. Juan Pierre stole 58 in 2006. 8. The Browns beat the Cardinals in Game 1 of the Series, 2-1. 9. Betts entered the season with 238 doubles, five more than Abreu.