Cullowhee, NC Western Carolina opens a four-game swing through Piedmont on Wednesday night, traveling to meet former Southern conference enemy Elon. The first pitch from Elons Latham Park is scheduled for 7 p.m.
Fans can follow Wednesday’s match with live statistics through StatBroadcast with a single stream with one camera through Elon’s YouTube channel and online audio through Elon Sports Network from Learfield IMG College.
Western Carolina (21-11) has been inactive since last Friday when it shared a SoCon double header at ETSU in Johnson City, Tennessee, while Elon took 2-of-3 from common enemy UNC Wilmington last weekend at home. At the moment, Wednesday’s road slope at Elon represents WCU’s last non-conference game in the 2021 schedule and the last match in the middle of the week. Phoenix still has a midweek in NC State on May 4th.
WCU is scheduled to start red shorts junior RHP Tristan Campbell on Wednesday in a predetermined appearance after his weekend start at ETSU last Saturday was calculated.
Scouting the Elon Phoenix:
- Elon enters Wednesday night’s match at 13-17 and 6-6 in the Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) and ranked 192 in the recent NCAA RPI … Elon was picked third in the CAA’s South Division in the 2021 preseason.
- Phoenix enters the week after taking 2-of-3 to CAA enemy UNC Wilmington last weekend at home, when each of the three matches was decided by one race including two that needed extra innings;
- Elon had a player called the preseason All-CAA – junior starter Jared Wetherbee – with outfielder Anthony Galason receiving an honorable mention;
- Phoenix has had two CAA Players of the Week – Anthony Galason March 2 and co-Player of the Week Alex Iadisernia April 13 … Elon pitcher Brian Edgington has twice earned CAA Pitcher of the Week awards (March 30 , April 13) … Justin Cassella collected Rookie of the Week honors on April 13 for Elon;
- Elon hits .254 collectively as a team with 49 doubles, three triples and 32 home runs among the 258 hits that were collected this season … Opponents beat .267 against Phoenix with 56 doubles, seven triples and 38 homers;
- Player Alex Iadisernia leads four EU players who hit the .300 threshold of .376 (44 of 117) this season with a team-leading nine doubles, nine homers and 24 RBI.
Projected Pitching Match-Up:
WCU – RHP # 32 Sad Campbell (2-0, 4.30) vs. ELON – LHP # 26 Liam Dabagian (0-0, 12.00)
Series History – Western Carolina vs. Elon:
- According to available records, Western Carolina has trails in the all-time series 22-26 … Elon has won the last two series meetings with the Catamounts having dropped six of the last 10 meetings collected back to 2012;
- The two programs last met in a three-game series in Cullowhee back in 2019 with Elon winning 2-of-3, including a 12-11, 10-inning affair … WCU claimed 2-of-3 in the last the meeting that was played in Elon back in late March 2014 and leads a two-game winning streak in the series to Wednesday’s match;
- Elon represents the THIRD team from the Colonial Athletic Association that WCU has met this year … Catamounts opened the season by sweeping Towson in Cullowhee, surpassing the Tigers 47-to-10 during the three-game set … WCU dropped 2- av-3 kl. UNC Wilmington in late February and claimed the series opener, 8-2, before falling in the next two games 8-6 and 10-6.
Additional Catamount Diamond Notes:
- Western Carolina enters the week ranked 38th in the nation in the RPI as of Tuesday afternoon … Five of WCU’s season opponents continue to rank among the top 100 nationally in the RPI: Tennessee (4), Charlotte (11), Wake Forest ( 77), Samford (91) and Wofford (96) … Two other season opponents are just outside the top 100 in Gardner-Webb (101) and UNCW (108);
- Catamounts enters the week ranked fourth in the country when they score with SoCon-best 8.8 races per game average – 280 races over 32 games played … WCU also leads SoCon in team stroke average (.307), percentage on base ( . 429) and hit by pitch (67), while finishing second in slugging percentage (.453), scoring runs (280) and RBI (245);
- Six Catamount regulars enter the week, beating over 300, led by Will talk at .418: Justice Bigbie (.352), Daniel walsh (.350), Luke Robinson (.348), Daylan nanny (.347), and Pascanel ferreras (.304) … Seth Graves (.294) is just below the .300 cut;
- WCU also has six players with 22 or more RBIs this season led by Luke Robinson SoCon-leading 36 … Catamounts has three of the league’s top 10 RBI leaders and four of the league’s top scorers Justice Bigbie with 43 best series;
- Junior Will talk continues to lead the SoCon in seasonal stroke average among qualifying players with an average of .418 – 10th best in the NCAA … 37 of his 41 seasonal hits have been singles with three doubles and a triple;
- Junior Daylan nanny Carries a 32-match base reached safely into the week, and continues to have reached base in every match this season … Will talk has reached safely in 17-strake mens Luke Robinson has reached 16 in a row … Robinson carries a team-best hit in nine games into the week, just ahead of Prater with a hit of eight games;
- Junior Immanuel Wilder matched the WCU program record to be hit by a pitch in last weekend’s shortened series at ETSU … Wilder has been picked 12 times this year – tied mostly in SoCon this season (10th nationally with 0.48 HBP per game) – to give him 44 career HBPs, tie former Catamount Barrett Shaft (44, 2005-08) … Luke Robinson has also been hit 12 times this season, earning him 39 HBPs in his career, sixth in WCU’s record book;
- Weekend starts – and three times SoCon Pitcher of the Week – Zebby Matthews is in second place in SoCon in ERA (2.47) and is fifth in strike (59) including 21 strikes out, third in conference;
- WCU ranks fourth in SoCon with a collective team ERA of 4.96;
- Defensively, WCU has beaten a SoCon-leading 28 doubles games this season, tied for 22nd nationally with an average of 0.88 doubles per game … Pascanel ferreras has been part of turning 23 doubles, mostly among individuals in SoCon.
On deck for Catamount Baseball:
Western Carolina returns to Southern Conference games this weekend and visits the UNCG Spartans Friday and Saturday at the UNCG Baseball Stadium on campus. Friday’s match and at least match one of Saturday’s doubles is scheduled to air on ESPN + (paid subscription required). Game dates, start times and broadcast schedules are subject to change.
According to UNCG’s updated attendance policy on UNCGSpartans.com, there is a limited number of seats available for the home and visiting team guests through a pass list, and a limited number of seats for the general public on a first-come, first-served basis. Facial coatings are mandatory along with all other social clearance and safety requirements under UNCG, Guilford County and State of North Carolina regulations.
Keep track of everything related to Catamount baseball and WCU Athletics through social media on Facebook (fb.com/CatamountSports), Twitter (@Catamounts, @CatamountBSB) and Instagram (wcu_catamounts, catamountbsb).