Baseball is an Australian indie punk band formed by main post frontman, Cameron Potts, on lead vocals and violin, in 1995. Their influence ranges from Eastern European and Middle Eastern gypsy music and Sufi poetry to band like Ex, Pixies and Led Zeppelin. They were dissolved in 2010 and reformed in late 2016.
Baseball started as a solo project for frontman, Cameron Potts (Nitti ni, Sandro) through the late 1990s and early 2000s, and recorded tracks influenced by his travels through the Middle East using piano, drums and often whispered vocals. Cameron began working closely with Monika Fikerle on drums and piano playing and Steve Begovich on bass, toured Europe together in 2002. Back in Melbourne in Cameron and Monika were joined by Japanese bassist and drummer Yoshi-Nobu Araki to record the album Gods and Stars, Priests And Kings.
Baseball developed into the current lineup in 2005, consisting of bassist Monika Fikerle (Love of charts, Scouts), drummer / vocalist Evelyn morris (Pikelet, True Radical Miracle) and guitarist Ben Butcher (The Assassination Collective).
In 2005, Baseball released a five-song EP featuring demo tunes titled “Taiwan – Japan Tour EP” for their tour of Japan and Taiwan where they played Hohaiyan Rock Festival with Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Vincent Gallo and more, and where Cameron Potts crushed his violin at the end of the set.
After touring Europe and Far East Asia in 2005, Baseball toured in Russia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Scandinavia and continental Europe in June 2006. They toured again in Europe and the UK in June / July 2007.
In 2006, a live show was filmed on 3 cameras at the Bar Open, Melbourne, with Baseball, The Thaw (Sydney), ni-hao! (Japan) and Sabot (Czech Republic). The show was later released on DVD by Tenzenmen (009TZM), entitled “Live at Bar Open”. In 2006, Baseball played support for such as Sleater-Kinney, Saul Williams, The Savy Fav, Amateur Party, Birushanah (Jap) and Ryokuchi (Jap).
The band took a break from 2010 before returning to play and write new songs in September 2016.
- Cameron Potts, conductor vocal, violin (also a member of Nitti ni, Sandro)
- Monika Fikerle, vocals, bass, drums (also a member of Love of charts and Scouts)
- Evelyn morris, vocals, bass, drums (also a member of True Radical Miracle, Pikelet)
- I’m a butcher, vocals, guitar (also a member of The Assassination Collective)
- The Sea is Blue and Green (Songs of Travel Loss and Hope) (Warm Cola Recordings, 1999)
- Gods and stars, priests and kings (Thirsty Arab, 2003)
- The animal kingdom (Stomp STMPCD014, 2008)
- Taiwan-Japan Tour (2005)
- “Run, Run, Run” / “The Synagogue of Wooden Nerves” (Split 7 “single with Ricaine, 1995)
- “Australian Music Online :: Artists :: Baseball”. Filed from the original November 22, 2005.
- Gods and stars, priests and kings (Media notes). 2003.
- Shih Ying-ying (August 19, 2005). “Hohaiyan rocks despite threat of tropical storm”. Taiwan today. Picked up June 3 2009.[permanent dead link]
- “Live at Bar Open at bandcamp.com”.
- Baseball (1999), The Sea is Blue and Green (Songs of Travel Loss and Hope), Warm Cola Recordings, picked up October 19th 2016
- “Baseball play Studio 5 Live”. PBS FM. May 27, 2004. Filed from the original June 22, 2004. Picked up October 19th 2016.
- Baseball (2007), The animal kingdom, Stomp Entertainment, picked up October 19th 2016
- Baseball (2005), Taiwan, Japan Tour, Baseball, picked up October 19th 2016
- “Baseball at rateyourmusic.com”. Filed from the original February 1, 2014