CHICAGO — The Chicago Cubs, along with Chicago Cubs Charities, have been busy this holiday season in an effort to give back to Chicagoland community. Events have benefited people of all ages and included a trip to Arizona in November to visit hospitals where the team holds spring training.
Additionally, the Cubs will participate in the following events:
- Chicago Cubs Holiday Tree – this was a first-ever ceremony held at Wrigley Field and hosted by the Tom Ricketts, Chicago Cubs owner. On-hand for the event was Ernie Banks, Matt Garza, Illinois Governor Pat Quinn and many others.
- The Rink at Wrigley – the holiday tree lighting was part of the opening of the rink outside of Wrigley Field. The rink is open for skaters until February 26th.
- 23rd District Town Hall Police Station Holiday Party – party hosted by the 23rd district police station and included Cubs associates who volunteered to provide holiday cheer to Chicago’s neediest children. The Children received gifts and enjoyed a surprise visit by Santa.
- South Side Toy Donation – Chicago Cubs Charities donated $10,000 to purchase gifts for less fortunate families.
- Goethe School Book Program – known as “Operation Santa”, the Cubs adopted 7th and 8th graders at Goethe School. Books were donated by the Cubs based on wish lists provided by the students.
- Chicago Charger Youth Football Donation – the Cubs donated $2,500 to the youth football team, which sent them to New Orleans for the National Youth Championship Game.
- 23rd District Thanksgiving Meal – hot Thanksgiving meals served to senior citizens in the Lakeview community with help from the 23rd Chicago Police District.
- The National Runaway Switchboard Thanksgiving Meal – provided a Thanksgiving meal to runaway and homeless children.
During a time of celebration and caring it’s refreshing to see the Chicago Cubs go above and beyond the call of duty. The Good in Sports recognizes their generous contributions to the community and is pleased to honor them and the Ricketts family during the holiday season with a Gold Star in Sports!
- If you are in the Chicago area and interested in visiting the skating rink, please visit http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/community/rink_at_wrigley.jsp for more information.
We hope you enjoy our positive, uplifting content. We would love for you to follow us on Twitter and “like” us on Facebook! You can also sign up for our “Motivate & Inspire” emails, which are sure to make you think!
Copyright © 2011 The Good in Sports, Inc. All rights reserved.